Saturday, October 8, 2011

Technology Self-Assessment: School 2.0- NETS-T II & V


Using the School 2.0 site, I was able to use the reflection tool to self-assess my current level of skill in technology integration based on the 2008 ISTE NETS-T. When I was finished with the assessment I investigated one of the resources provided in the Reflection Tool Results. Through this assignment I not only learned about my technology skills but it also allowed me to engage in professional growth.



After completing the technology self assessment, the NETS-T module I chose was #1: Facilitate and Inspire Student Learning and Creativity. The reason I chose this module was due to its importance. The key word here I think it would be “Facilitate”, if there is a way I can help my students when it comes to their learning, I find that to be magnificent. At times learning can be a very difficult task and facilitating this process is something a teacher should do for their students. Creativity can be a great tool when it comes to facilitating a students learning. It also gives a sense of individualism to students, while inspiring to learn. In a way it is all interconnected. For the sources given, I chose “Rock our world”. This is a project based on the idea that “music can change the world”. Rock our World is an international collaboration where students and teachers are able to compose music, movies, and interact with each other through live video chats. Using Apple’s GarageBand as their tool, a 30 second drum beat is created within a country and that beat rotates around the world virtually. As the beat comes back to the country of origin, it has traveled all over the world and been modified by many students from different countries. I think this project is a great example of how to incorporate creativity within a classroom. It is not only exposing students to explore its surroundings but also what’s going on around the world. Beats do not have a language and this is a great idea of bringing students together for such a creative cause. The only downfall I saw was that not everyone can be part of this great experience since it is limited to the usage of apple’s garageband, other than that I found this source to be very eye opening for me, I learned how such an easy concept such as music can be put at use for students to learn something out of, and just like music there can be so many other things that we can use as tools in a classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment